Welcome to the Asian American Bar Association of Houston
The Asian American Bar Association of Houston (AABA) is a voluntary organization of attorneys, judges, and law students of Asian heritage or who have Asian American interests. Founded in 1984, the AABA's membership reflects all aspects of Houston's Asian American legal community. In coordinating social events, continuing legal education, and pro bono and volunteer opportunities, the AABA promotes the Houston society of Asian American lawyers and addresses the needs of Houston's Asian American community.
If you are an AABA member and are currently not receiving monthly newsletters, please send us a message including your email address at: email@example.com
947 Gessner Rd. #A180
Houston, TX 77024
April 24, 2014
Wednesday, April 30, 2014
11:30 am - 1:00 pm
Porter Hedges LLP
1000 Main Street, 36th Floor
Houston, Texas 77002
*1.5 Hours CLE credit pending
Lunch will be provided courtesy of Porter Hedges LLP.
Please note that parking is available in the firm's building, and validation is available at the receptionist's desk.
Attorneys, please register online.
May 10, 2014
7:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Please arrive at 7:00 a.m. for check-in. Our workdays start at 7:30 a.m. and end at 2:30 p.m. We ask volunteers to work the entire shift because we plan the build schedule around 25 volunteers working 7-8 hours, with appropriate breaks and lunch.
Harrel Park build site:
8229 Laura Koppe Road, Houston, Texas 77028
The subdivision is at the corner of Laura Koppe and Vista Oaks.
To navigate to the site using online maps or GPS, please use the following address: 8229 Laura Koppe Road, Houston, TX 77028 (http://goo.gl/maps/zOGo). All available parking will be on Laura Koppe Rd. Habitat representatives will greet and direct you to the Houston Bar Association house.
All volunteers must sign in at the construction site and provide a signed waiver of liability
Always check the Worksite & Weather Information Line at 713-671-9993 Opt. 4. This phone message is updated the morning of each build day by 6:00 a.m., and includes driving directions and pertinent weather advisories.
Habitat will provide tools for build date, but volunteers are encouraged to bring the tools referenced in the attached volunteer packet.
Refreshments will be provided each morning and drinking water will always be readily available. There is a lunch hour. Catering arrangements have been made by our generous sponsors to provide lunch for volunteers.
Construction Day Schedule
7:00-7:30 a.m. Registration
7:30-8:15 a.m. Orientation
8:15–11:30 a.m. Morning tasks
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. LUNCH
12:30-2:30 p.m. Afternoon tasks & Clean up
Want to volunteer?
There is a limit of 20 volunteers for this project and availability is on a first come first served basis.
A "Volunteer Toolkit" can be downloaded on the Houston Habitat for Humanity website (right side column):
The last two pages of the "Volunteer Toolkit" includes an Adult Waiver and Minor Waiver that will need to be completed. Please have the forms completed prior to your arrival at the site.
To volunteer, please contact Albert Liou, Vice President of Community Relations at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, June 14, 2015.
The AABA is proud to partner with Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program, VN Teamwork, and Boat People SOS for the 2014 Wills Clinic. This annual event provides pro bono preparation of a Will, Medical Power of Attorney, Statutory Durable Power of Attorney, Directive to Physicians, HIPAA Release, and Declaration of Guardianship for qualified clients.
This year's clinic will be held on Saturday, June 14, 2014, from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm at the VN Teamwork Center at 11210 Bellaire Blvd., Houston, TX 77072. Breakfast and lunch will be provided for all volunteers.
If you would like to volunteer, please contact Albert Liou, Vice President of Community Relations at: email@example.com.
ATTORNEY VOLUNTEER INFORMATION:
1. Wills Training Clinic training will be on April 30th and conducted by Peter Bennett at the law offices of Porter Hedges LLP from 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM. After training, attorneys can receive the questionnaire of their client(s) needing wills and estate planning documents prepared.
2. Any remaining questionnaires will be distributed to AABA volunteer attorneys via email. All questionnaires will be assigned to volunteer attorneys no later than Thursday, May 22, 2014. Each questionnaire will also include the client’s scheduled time slot for document execution during the Asian Wills Clinic.
3. The following six documents will be offered at this year’s Wills Clinic: Will, Medical Power of Attorney, Statutory Durable Power of Attorney, Directive to Physicians, HIPAA Release, and Declaration of Guardianship. If an applicant requests any document not provided, please direct the applicant to HVL for further legal services.
4. Volunteer attorneys will receive an Estate Planning Questionnaire filled out by applicants detailing their wishes as well as sample Estate/Incapacity Planning Documents to guide them through the drafting process. Documents should be drafted as accurately as possible with the information provided in the Estate Planning Questionnaire. Client interaction and interviews will not be necessary unless attorney feels comfortable speaking Vietnamese. Of course, not all applicants will want all six above-mentioned documents.
5. HVLP will also provide a packet containing sample estate planning forms to assist volunteer attorneys in drafting documents for their respective clients.
6. Volunteer attorneys should have all documents drafted and completed by Thursday, June 5, 2014. Volunteer attorneys should email copies of drafted documents to Tyrone.Lin@HVLPP.org or Christine.Truong@HVLPP.org for review.
Thank you to all of the attorney volunteers- this event would not be possible without your participation!